Friday, May 12, 2006

Serving as Banner Bearer on Sunday

Sunday, May 14 @ 10:00 a.m. Service
The First Presbyterian Church of Wilmette
600 Ninth Street
Wilmette, IL 60091
847-256-3010
http://www.fpc-wilmette.org

May 14, which is also Mother's Day, is Confirmation Sunday for this church. To the song, "Spirit," I will process in solo with a tall red ribbon banner embodying the Holy Spirit. The ribbons will echo the red liturgical stoles that the church will be presenting the confirmands as a confirmation of the Holy Spirit's presence in their lives. As each confirmand's name is called, I will sweep the ribbon banner over his or her head. Then, for the closing hymn, "Here I am," I will bring the banner over the confirmands heads during the refrain, "Here I am," and then I will lead them out.

I am very excited about how this service has developed. The ribbon banner and I dancing in alone to the song "Spirit" is powerful symbolism of the spirit entering the space. It is a quieter song: the spirit is entering gently. Then the spirit touching/blessing each of the confirmands as they are confirmed. Finally, the spirit leading the confirmands out as they sing "Here I am, Lord. . . I will go, Lord, if You lead me." Perfect.

I was rehearsing in the gym today and I decided that for the beginning verse of "Here I am," I'm going to hold the end of the banner pole at my feet, like a staff, and move the top of the pole so the ribbons blow a little. Then, when the refrain comes up, "Here I am," I will sweep the ribbons up high over the heads of the confirmands. A powerful contrast making for a greater recognition of the commitment that the confirmands have just made. I pray it will be very moving.

The video from 30 Good Minutes shows the ribbon banner I will be using.
Watch my spiritual journey in dance at http://www.csec.org/short_video.htm
(scroll down to Michele White)

No comments: