Monday, September 17, 2007

Ribbon Dance, Advent Dance, Rosary Retreat

I just posted these three upcoming events on my website and figured I should also put them on the blog. I'm excited about each of them for different reasons that I describe below

Sunday, September 23, 2007, 4:00PM-5:30PM
Outdoor kick-off celebration for interfaith spirituality center
Enjoy an hour of engaging activities that reflect various faith traditions. I will dance with my ribbon pole and make smaller ribbon poles with children so that they may join me dancing around the park, too.
Touchstones, Glenview, IL
I'm excited because the Touchstones folks came up with the idea of using pipecleaners to make mini-ribbon banners rather than the chopsticks I've used in the past with adults, most noteably at Claudia Sloan's memorial service. I'll never forget the entire church waving their little banners as some other dancers and I processed out of the church with the big banners, ushering Claudia's spirit out into the world with us.
Anyway, the pipecleaners work really well and are actually better replicas of my ribbon pole because they bend and sway. Truly lovely. I'm hoping to have a band of mini ribbon dancers following me . . .

Sunday, December 2, 2007, 10:30AM
Worship service on the first Sunday of Advent
I will dance to the lively "There's a Great Joy a Comin'"sung by New Hope's wonderful choir under the direction of Liz Okayama.
New Hope United Methodist Church, Chicago, Illinois
Liz just told me the song selection today. She'll send a tape after they've rehearsed it a bit.

Saturday, December 8, 2007 9AM-4PM
Dancing the Rosary: Moving through the Joyful Mysteries
On this Advent retreat day on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception, we will pray with our bodies, reflecting on Mary and her tremendous gift to humankind. After grounding ourselves in movement-based Lectio Divina(scriptural reflection) and faith-sharing, we will pray our own moving meditations to the national rhythms of the spoken rosary. The day will culminate in celebrating mass for this Holy Day. No rosary, dance, or movement experience is required, merely a desire and willingness to move and pray. Please wear comfortable clothing. Rosaries will be provided.
Archdiocese of Joliet, Illinois, Romeoville, Illinois
I'm excited because I just learned that Heinrich Ignaz Franz von Biber wrote the "Rosary Sonatas" -- 15 sonatas for violin and harpischord -- one for each of the original fifteen mysteries of the rosary. I haven't bought them yet. I'm just devouring information about them on the internet, reading Amazon reviews, trying to decide which version to buy. I have been looking for years for music for the mysteries of the rosary, then last night on a lark, I googled "rosary dance" and it came up in a review. Apparently Biber was educated by Jesuits who emphasized praying with all the senses. I have wanted music for each of the mysteries for my rosary retreats, and it looks like I may have found it!

No comments: